A Night to be Cherished in Chattanooga!
Real Betis of La Liga came to Finley Stadium last night for an international exhibition game against our boys in blue. It was a night that our players, coaches, staff, and supporters will remember for the rest of their lives!
In the thirteenth minute, our very own Juan Hernandez made a great play in the midfield to get free enough to slot the ball to Joao Costa who was flying down the left side of the field. Costa took on famed defender Marc Bartra then hit the upper left corner of the goal to give us the 1-0 lead! Against all odds, it stayed that way until the 45th+ minute.
Betis came out of the locker room focused and sharp for the second half. The game ended 4-3 in Real Betis' favor, which left everyone in the stadium extremely surprised!
Our coaches put together a game plan that slowed Betis down and gave us a chance to get our own chances. Our players executed the game plan perfectly and withstood the continuous pressure. Our supporters showed up in 90+ degree heat and gave it their all as well. And our staff put on a heck of an event!
This game will be one to be cherished for the rest of our lives. Thank you for being a part of our story and we hope we made you proud to be an owner of Chattanooga Football Club!
Reminder that there are only SIX days left to join the ownership group...tell you friends/family/coworkers/neighbors/etc!
Some links about the game:
- Highlights of the game from La Liga and Betis TV's coverage
- Recap of the game from the Times Free Press
- Watch the game if you missed it
- Here are some great shots from Ray Soldano:
- Walkout through the La Liga arch
- Captains walking side by side. A great honor for Juan Hernandez who grew up in Spain.
- Pregame photo of CFC and Betis
- Joao Costa's goal after beating Bartra
- Max Wilschrey being defended by Marc Bartra
- Foul in the box against Alun Webb that set up his conversion of the penalty kick for the second goal.
- Zeca's header for our third goal