We've helped fund hundreds of startups, including flying cars, rockets, breweries, Hollywood studios, and potential Ebola cures. Every company is full of amazing stories. Your job will be to bring those stories to life, every week.
Our dream candidate
Our dream candidate groks humans and has a flair for visual & written story-telling. Their communication style prioritizes clarity and connection – with their own voice still coming through. They’re curious and adaptable with a knack for research, words, and picking up a new skill (or 3). They can also make a mean meme.
Our goal: help investors feel behind the curtain
Wefunder is built for investors: they are the audience for our stories. Even someone who invests as little as $100 should feel the impact they've made.
Unlike the stock market, startup investors are not simply handing over cash... they are changing lives. Their money doesn't just enrich someone on Wall Street, it's directly given to the startup, to help founders follow their dreams, create jobs, and create something that adds value to the world. Investors are a part of that journey.
As a Storyteller, you’ll help people feel more connected to the founders they support & the investments they make. A pitch deck doesn’t tell a person’s story; your job is to guide founders through the process of showing investors who they are and why what they’re building matters.
Some stuff you could be working on
Over the course of a week, here's some projects you could be doing:
- Help a founder tell their story. Before they launch, each founder builds out a pitch page to tell their story to prospective investors. Often, it’s much easier said than done. You will learn best practices for each component of the page and then work with founders to improve their pitches. For each pitch, you’ll sleuth across the company’s socials and website to find nuggets of info & visual assets that you know investors will find compelling. When necessary, you’ll also offer tactical support to help them get over investment plateaus.
- Help Wefunder tell its own story. You will help brainstorm, create, and share content on our social medias. Don’t worry – we’re not keen on boring infographics and stiff brand-type content, either. Our team is full of (hardworking and brilliant) goofballs and we aim to retain that spirit in our outward content. (Yes, memes. Yes, fun videos.) We’re excited to have you bring your own creative flair and humor to the table.
- Design case studies. One of our challenges is to make it clear how valuable it is for a business to crowdfund. We have preliminary data it can increase a startups revenue by 15%. But stats don't persuade; stories do. Here’s a case study we did on a very, very cool company, Atom Limbs (linked).
- Copywriting & blogging. One of our values is to "talk like a human". We treat our users like smart friends. You'll help write copy in Wefunder's voice that is clear, authentic, and approachable.
Here are some things we consider important:
- Strong people skills. You'll be interviewing lots of startup founders. You should have a talent for making people feel instantly comfortable and willing to share.
- Excellent writing. We admire engaging and authentic writing.
- A good eye for visual storytelling. We think stories have more emotional impact if they are designed well. Bonus points if you have any of these creative skills: video editing, photography, illustration, or graphic design.
- Responsible & accountable. Simply said: if you say you will do it, you do it.
Market-rate salaries and stock options.
Unlimited vacation days (mandatory 3 weeks off).
Medical, dental, & vision insurance.
401(k) with company match.
All-expense paid Wefunder vacation. We’ve taken three train trips across the country.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with why you'd like to work for us. Brownie points: include a survival skill you'd offer the team in a post-apocalyptic world.
On May 16, 2016, it became legal for regular people to invest as little as $100 in startups and small
businesses. Since then, we have become the largest equity crowdfunding platform. We've helped 858 startups and small businesses
– including flying cars, space rockets, breweries, Hollywood studios, and potential Ebola cures – raise
We're a Public Benefit Corporation with a mission to revitalize
capitalism and keep the American dream alive. GDP growth is slowing. Wealth inequality is increasing.
Entrepreneurship is dying across America; falling from 10.6% to 3.6% among those under 30 since 1989. We're
reversing these trends by funding more deserving businesses across all of America, not solely tech startups
in Silicon Valley.
Want to help? Join us! We're a team of founder types: enjoy autonomy, responsibility, the opportunity to
learn, and no red tape. Just make it happen.
Wefunder supports three different federal laws that allow startups to raise money legally. To comply with the law, Wefunder Advisors LLC and Wefunder Portal LLC (both owned by Wefunder Inc) also list startups depending on the regulation used.
Legal May 16th 2016
Wefunder Portal LLC
for 764 startups
Wefunder Advisors LLC
for 164 startups
for 3 startups
Curious how well the companies have done? Or how many raised follow-on financing?
Some fine print: 1) These numbers include startups currently live on Wefunder if they pass their minimum target. 2) Some startups use two different laws at the same time (i.e., Regulation D and Regulation Crowdfunding).
Wefunder is a Public Benefit Corporation.
We’re here to fix capitalism.
wefunder.com is a website owned by Wefunder Inc., the parent company of Wefunder Advisors LLC and Wefunder Portal LLC. Wefunder Inc. operates sections of wefunder.com where certain Regulation D and Regulation A+ offerings are available. Wefunder Inc. is not regulated in any capacity, is not registered as either a broker-dealer or funding portal, and is not a member of FINRA or any other self-regulatory organization.
Wefunder Advisors is an exempt reporting adviser that makes filings with the SEC and certain states. Wefunder Advisors advises special purpose vehicles (SPVs) used in certain Regulation D offerings that are available on wefunder.com.
Wefunder Portal is a funding portal (CRD #283503) that is registered with the SEC and is a member of FINRA. Wefunder Portal operates sections of wefunder.com where certain Regulation Crowdfunding offerings are available.